Tuesday, November 20, 2012

When God Shows Up

The next two Sundays and the week in between will be very special days at Calvary as we have a Thirst Conference with Life Action Ministries. I am anticipating a wonderful time of seeking the Lord together. Our Calvary Worship Arts team will not have any responsibilities during the conference as the Life Action team will be leading us in worship. I hope that each of you in Worship Arts will make attending the conference a priority.

I was first introduced to Life Action Ministries in 1994 and that was a life changing experience for me.Rather that use the blog this week to walk through the songs we will be singing on Sunday, I have decided to tell you what God did in my heart during a Life Action conference.


I grew up in a family that went to church and I knew the stories of the Bible at an early age. As a child, it was very important to me that I did what was right and that I met the expectations that others had of me. Outwardly, I was very compliant to all my authorities. As a teenager, I realized that the right thing to do was to walk down the aisle at church and pray with the pastor to receive Christ. So that is what I did. I did not come to Christ with any sense of need or of want in my life. I came to Christ because that is what I was supposed to do. In my pride I believed that God needed me.

I lived on the outside as though I had a relationship with Jesus Christ, but on the inside, life was empty. I had no relationship with Christ and I didn't even know it. God, in His great love and mercy, allowed me to be surrounded by devoted followers of Jesus Christ. I saw a clear difference between my life and theirs. Eventually I heard Tim St. Clair of Life Action Ministries preach a message on brokenness. I finally realized the truth of James 4:6 that God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. I had not come to Christ humbly in need of a Savior. I had come proudly boasting of my works.

As my eyes were opened to my true condition, I realized what Christ had done for me in taking upon Himself the wrath that my sinful life deserved. I was saved by His sovereign grace. My sin debt was paid in full by Jesus Christ. God radically transformed my life 18 years ago and I have been on a journey to become more and more like Christ ever since.

Margie and I had the privilege of serving with Life Action Ministries as team members for two years and served for many more as musical consultants. I have seen God move through many churches in radical ways as people have chosen to become obedient to the Word of God. My prayer for Calvary coming into this week is that God would manifest His glory here and that we would never be the same. I am praying for a revival that is marked by repentance and reconciliation. I am praying for a revival that sees broken marriages and relationships restored. I am praying for a revival that sees men and women surrender their lives for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I am praying it begins in me.

Soli Deo Gloria
Trent

No comments:

Post a Comment