Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Is My Praise Acceptable To God?

Usually when someone else is leading worship at Calvary it means that I am on vacation. But this year one of my goals is to give others the opportunity to lead while I am here in the services and rehearsals so that I can take an active role in mentoring other leaders. It will also give me the opportunity to sit out in the auditorium and hear what sounds we are really producing in our services. This week I have asked Jeremy Banks to lead us in worship on Sunday. Jeremy is a passionate worshiper of Jesus Christ who desires.to lead us in an authentic time of corporate worship. I am excited to work with Jeremy and our Praise Band this week as we prepare for our gathering on Sunday.

The opening song for Sunday is Tommy Walker's That's Why We Praise Him. Over the years this song has sparked more questions from our congregation than any other. Some misinterpret  the lyrics and think that the song communicates that the only reason we would praise Christ is because of what He has done to the neglect of who He is. I understand that perspective but I do not believe that is the meaning or intent at all. We certainly praise Christ first and foremost because of who He is. Yet it is also true that we would not be able to worship Christ if He had not acted on our behalf. So we are able to praise Him because of what He has done. I hope that is helpful as we prepare to sing on Sunday. The video link is from a service with Tommy Walker in Hawaii. I hope you enjoy it.

Then we have a three song set including Kristian Stanfill's Jesus Paid It All, Hillsong United's Stronger, and Matt Redman's Nothing But The Blood. These songs carry a unified message of what Christ's life, death,  and resurrection have accomplished for us.The closing line of Jesus Paid It All sums up the collective truth in these songs: Sin had left a crimson stain He washed it white as snow. We gather to worship because of these events in the life of Christ. Our worship is only acceptable to God because of the work of Christ.

As you prepare to worship God at Calvary this week remember that all we do, every song we sing, every prayer we offer, every sacrifice of praise is only made acceptable to God because of the work of Christ. That means no matter how well or even how poorly something may go in the service, it is still acceptable because of Christ. If I play or sing with perfection, it is no more acceptable than if I am sloppy or out of tune. It isn't my sacrifice that makes it good, it is Christ's. Rejoice in that truth Calvary.

Soli Deo Gloria,
Trent

No comments:

Post a Comment